Saturday, May 16, 2009

n.e.r.d.

Last Friday I was approached by my director about an opportunity to take a continuing education Masters class for ESL teachers- starting the following Monday (as in 3 days later). The every ready student inside of me freaked thinking of my unpreparedness-the books yet unbought, the pencils yet unsharpened, and the first day of school outfit yet unpurchased. I was nervous about the idea of having to do homework again, having to read long passages on complex subjects I couldn't begin to understand, and having to stay awake until the wee hours cramming for tests. But more than anything, I was excited! I guess deep down I'll always be a nerd :)

Anyways, I needn't have worried because so far none of it has turned out to be too intensive. It also didn't turn out to be a course for ESL teachers! However I'm still gathering helpful suggestions for developing childrens' writing skills and how to encourage bookworm behavior.

One of my favorite parts about the class: coffee break! Being a nation that thrives on the production and consumption of coffee, I've come to notice that coffee breaks are a good as DR law. Middle of the afternoon like clockwork (whatever that phrase means in a country that doesn't believe in punctuality) jobs come to a screeching halt as everyone gets out their white ceramic cups and big bowls of sugar (no milk) and sips away. For our class' break they also put out some snacks on silver doiley-lined trays. That was the first time I have ever seen Sour Cream & Onion Pringles looking so fancy. I guess since most of the students in the class are American they're trying to make us feel right at home.

Being in the class has made me really excited about learning how to be a more effective teacher and implementing some of the strategies in my classroom. My students next year won't know what hit 'em! :)

No comments: