Monday, January 4, 2010

The Wrap Up

So obviously I didn't post at all during the month of December. As I'm sure you can imagine things were hectic around school, preparing for our Christmas show, making Christmas cards, watching Christmas movies...and of course preparing myself for my imminent return home! :)

Our school put on a Christmas musical called "Jingle in our Hearts" and my kids practiced their hearts out fo
r weeks leading up to the big day. They had one song to sing ("Shine") and it required a
very specific, tailor-made costume. The boys were dressed as toy soldiers and the girls as little dolls. Half of the girls actually left school early the day of the show to go to the salon and get their hair did! But it all paid off because they looked GORGEOUS! And th
e boys looked so handsome too!

Especially the ones whose hats were too big for their heads (or heads were too small for their hats?). And when they performed I actually teared up I was so proud of them!
Then afterwards we went backstage and had a confetti fight. I guess sometimes you just need some type of stress release?!

The next big thing of the month was my DANCE RECITAL! This was my time to show off my moves and prove once and for all that there is NO gringa in me (at least when it comes to the dance floor). Our teacher never once explained exactly how this was going to
work-there was no talk of spacing, of rehearsals, of routines, of music. I was pretty nervous because this was not shaping up to be like any other dance recital I had ever had in the past. I brought along 2 of my roommates for moral support, wore my best dance outfit, and mentally prepared myself for...something?? But what that something was I couldn't be sure. As things always do, it turned out fine. Wait, that's a lie. It turned out GREAT! It wasn't so much a recital as a chance to showcase all the dance moves that we'd learned over the 2 months together. It was free for all so the guys just came up and asked you to dance-no designated partners or anything. And there were some REALLY good dancers in my class! So yes, I busted a move :) And my diploma proves I can do it legally! ;)

After Angelitos de Navidad (Secret Santa), artisan fair Christmas shopping (for myse-I mean others!), and an office party once again catered by Brugal (rum), it was back home for a real Christmas with sweaters, numb toes, and all.

I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays as well! Happy 2010!

No comments: