Monday, May 17, 2010

One of those moments

They have a new plaza in Santiago and it is sweeeeet. I remember 2 years ago when it was just pieces of wood and concrete sticking out of the ground, and now finally we have the finished product.

Plaza Bella Terra!

It is beautiful and has a Tony Roma's and a Papa John's. And a Creamoooos yogurt place, wh
ich I don't think they have in the States, but that's just an awesome name to say anyways. Creamoooos

It is also super special about this new plaza is the movie theater. Now Santiago already has 3 movie theaters, so a new movie theater in itself isn't anything exciting. But WAIT. This movie theater has stadium seating! Can you imagine?! That's a pretty big deal here.
And it gets better. Not only does it have stadium seating, but they also built a special VIP section to the theater. That mean
s for RD350 (or the cost of a regular movie in the States) you can go to a special side theater where all the chairs are LA-Z-BOYS. Seriously, the foot rest flips up and everything. It is ridiculous. A waiter comes to take your order and then hunts down whatever you want from the various snack bars in the lobby. It is so comfortable-you could just curl up in your chair and go to sleep! But you don't, because you paid $10.

I went this past Saturday to go see the movie "Remember Me" starring Robert Pattinson (think: Twilight blood-sucking vampire) and VIP sounded just too good to pass up. We didn't know what the movie was about, but the super helpful woman selling tickets said, "I think it's about love. Or something". It's this horribly tragically sad love story, and the most intense heart-wrenching moments are the last 2 minutes. Usually after a movie is over the theater stays dark as everyone recollects themselves/dries their eyes/processes what they think and the credits roll on. Well not here. Just as our sobs reach a crescendo and we're desperately hunting for tissues to blow our nose, BOOM-movie over lights on. They didn't even show the credits! I looked over at my friend and couldn't help but laugh. She looked like a red-eyed deer caught in the headlights. It was such an abrupt crash back to reality, and neither of us were prepared for it.

Before I would've been super annoyed and frustrated, but maybe it just goes to show how much I've come to love the DR. How can I bear to leave those moments behind when I go in June?!

No comments: