How emotional!
The entire week just seemed sadder, as I kept thinking about how this would be the last time I would give them homework (yeah, they cried over that one too), the last time I would reprimand them for not being quiet in the library, the last time I would take away some of their recess time...
But I also started to realize just how much I'd come to love them. In reflecting on the year, I never would've stuck it out had I not just been completely enamored by them. There are one of the best classes in the school, and I'm so blessed to have had them. It's been a year filled with a lot of challenges and difficulties, but knowing that their smiling faces would be there to greet me the next day gave me strength. I came to teach them, yes, but more importantly I got to show them love, to show them that they matter. Not all of them are lucky enough to learn that from their parents. I knew I had to show up with my game on because their little hearts would be there just waiting to be filled. If they took away anything from the year, I hope they learned that they are special. I hold them all near and dear to my heart, and care about each of them greatly. The last poem I read to them really sums it up. (Some of the toughest 6 lines I've ever had to read!):

I'm glad I was your teacher
I've come to love you so.
I can't believe the end is here.
I hate to see you go.
Remember all the fun we had
in all the things we did
But most of all remember...
You're a Very Special Kid!
And in the end, turns out that they actually taught me! I learned about patience (ooooh did I learn about patience!); I learned about forgiveness; I learned about second "opportunities" (they never could get that word 'chance' down pat); I learned about big hugs; I learned all the songs to High School Musical 3...I learned about playing and positive attitudes and encouragement and always trying. Most importantly, I learned what really matters. The kind words and kisses
more than the big posters or neat handwriting. I am so grateful for my time with them. And what luck I have to get to do it all over again next year, with another beautiful class! :D
For our last week everyone brought in a white t-shirt and we signed them all with permanent markers, sort of a replacement yearbook. And they looooved it! It got to be such a fad that everyone in school starting signing their white school t-shirts (wonder what their moms thought when they came home like that...). I gave each of my students a silly award too, based on their personality. For some of them I had to get a liiiittle more creative-cutest human cat, most talented stuntman, loudest screamer, most agile desk gymnast. I also had everyone write one compliment about all their fellow classmates, and then I gave them each an envelope filled with these "Pats on the Back", so they could read these things and know some of the reasons why they are so special. I'm not so sure everyone understood the directions though, because Waldo got "beautiful earrings" at least 3 times...
While it may be the end of this year, I know that the memories of it all will last so much longer. And really it's not goodbye, because I'm coming baaaaaaaackkk!!!! 1st graders watch out...Teacher Lesa is ready with her yellow cards...
No comments:
Post a Comment