Friday, June 12, 2009

end of year hodge podge

You would think now that school is out I would've slowed down. But nooooo, just the opposite in fact! It's been even more hectic and busy as everyone's trying to make the most out of their last few weeks here

The day after the hooligans left for the summer we were off to Santoooo Domingoooo! The goal: Fashion Week. Now let me tell you something about inviting international designers from all over to showcase their beautiful designs in front of an adoring public. You have to tell the public. Due to a combination of faulty advertising and unhelpful information, our destinies were not realized. (Thanks DR.) Sad to say Oscar de la Renta missed his chance. I guess Gisele Bundchen gets one more year to monopolize the stage. But next time she'll have a cat fight on her hands for that cat walk.
After that disappointment we set our hearts on a visit to the embassy pool. (Yes, that's what your tax dollars are going to. Thanks!) There is a pool at the US Embassy here and we were told time and time again "It's fantastic!". Unfortunately everyone failed to mention that your passport is not sufficient for getting you in. Oh no, you have to be a government employee. How snooty! I mean, yeah so I didn't pay my taxes this year. (Don't worry Uncle Sam, I'm getting to it!) But come on! It's my pool! It is my right as an American citizen to be able to tan on US soil! I say this as a warning: don't be jaded. The first things they take from you when you leave the States are your pool privileges. And charm alone can't persuade those guards (though maybe Benjamin Franklin can...if you catch my drift...)

Then I was invited along with one of my students' families to the mountains, where they own TWO houses in gorgeous Los Montones. They invited me along for a day trip. Little did I know that "day trip" included tuxedoed waiters, covered lunches, rented inflatable gyms, top quality sound system dj-ing, and more people than my family reunions. And I thought we were going to spend a relaxing quiet day away from the city. But by no means am I hatin' on the upper class lifestyle ;) But they are such a welcoming, kind family. It was so nice to be invited along and told "mis casas son tus casas"

And then there was graduation. Here the big deal is kids either graduating from Kindergarten or 1st grade, because it is here that they learn to read. In fact, the ceremony is called "Ya se leer/I can read". And it's a big deal. Tuxedos, big frilly dresses, day long salon visits, limo rides. And that's just the kids. All the parents come with the extended family in tow, and the kids could not be more bored. During the 1 1/2 hr long presentation I saw them doing whatever possible to keep from falling asleep. Maybe that meant surfing up to the microphone. Maybe that meant tying the tassle around their nose. Maybe that meant using the sash as a hula hoop. Regardless-they were precious. And next year they're all mine! :D

In other news, it's sweaty season down here. You think it's hot where you are? You ain't got nothing on us in the DR

No comments: