So I finally got to check out what the best hospital in the Caribbean is like! It started last weekend when I began to feel super under the weather, and after 2 days of feeling horrendous I decided I couldn't take it anymore. We didn't have Internet so I couldn't WebMD myself, and I discovered that without my parents I'm pretty pathetic when it comes to knowing what to do when sick. (At age 23, isn't that sorry?)Despite my insistence that it really wasn't necessary, the school director came over immediately and took me to the hospital ER. I was actually quite curious as to how this experience would go, since I have pretty much never seen a Dominican hurry in all my time here. Inside it was really nice and I was immediately put at ease when I saw a hand sanitizing station on the wall-a germ free hospital is a step up from the last hospital experience I had. Not wanting to freak out my parents too much I'll just leave it by saying that someone who is taking your blood should a) be wearing gloves, b) should not be located in a high traffic area and c) should probably look like they've taken blood before...
All high standards that the HOMS hospital met! ;)
There still was a significant lack of "hurry", but in their defense I only ended up having the flu. Which got me a cool face mask souvenir! As if I don't already get enough attention in the street being a gringa... They weren't sure if it was H1N1, and apparently there isn't a way to test for that in the DR; they would've had to send my blood to Atlanta. They decided it was safe enough anyways to send me on my merry way with a list of medicines to pick up from the hospital pharmacy. Which ironically enough turned out to not have any of them, even Vitamin C. Confidence begins slipping...but what can you expect when the $6 a month I pay for insurance completely covers the whole ER experience?
The next day I went back to the hospital to meet with a specialist. For those of you who complain about waiting too long in the doctor's office for your appointments, I envy you. In the DR doctors do not let you make appointments. The only way they will see you is if you come early, put your name on the list, and wait until they call you. Getting there at 10 I was already #8 on the list. And the doctor wasn't even going to be there for another 1 1/2 hours. Let the wait begin...
Confidence slips further when this doctor essentially tells me the ER doctors didn't know what they were talking about. It's very UNreassuring to have a doctor scoff and roll his eyes at what someone who attended you in the ER said. At least he had his New Jersey medical school diploma prominently displayed, so I knew I was in good hands ;)
It's really interesting because none of the hospitals here have any one single waiting room; it's just a big hallway with doctors offices branching off. But this hospital was by far the nicest I have seen down here-there was actually some color coordination! Oh la la!
I was told to stay in the house under lock and key for 10 days, but after 2 days I was feeling fine and in danger of climbing the walls if I obeyed the doctors orders any more.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers though! And from now on no more ER ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment