Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Red and yellow, black and white. They are precious in His sight!

My. students. are. AWESOME!

I loved my kids from last year. Just loved them. I was nervous about getting new kids, and especially seeing how that first week went, I was starting to have a few doubts about my decision to stay with second grade. But you know what? I have put all of that behind me. Because these kids are ridiculously adorable. I have an absolute BLAST teaching them. Yeah of course there are days when everyone is just off in lala land and I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall trying to get them to participate. And yeah of course there are days when no one will sit down and I can only give out directions in my outside screaming voice.

BUT (yes, there is a but!) they can also be a TON of fun! :)
Like today, when we ended up spending 15 minutes of class after recess practicin
g our Michael Jackson moves because one kid swore to me "Teacher! Teacher! Look! I'm Michael Jackson!", before proceeding to walk backwards moonwalk style. Except the way he did it, it just kind of looked like how we walk backwards here on Earth...
And like how one of my kids can only be made to sit down in his chair if his "robot mode" is turned on. (Hey, if it gets him in his seat!)

And they are also super duper sweet! :)
Like today, when the kids brought in M&M's to use in Math class and I (casually) mentioned how much I love M&M's. Next thing you know I'm being handed an entire bag of Peanut M&M's by one kid while another repeatedly tells me "Bajate!" ("Get lower!") so he can throw more into my mouth.
And like how one student wishes me "Buena suerta con los otros ninos!" ("Good luck with those other kids!") before we change classes.

And did I mention how they love to think critically?
We went on a field trip last week to the fire station and the amet (traffic control/DMV office) because we are currently learning about "community" in Social Studies. When they were being educated by the firefighter about what number to call in case of an emergency, one student very seriously brought up the issue "But what if the phone is on fire?"

*Sidenote: In the DR, the # 911 DOES NOT WORK! The call center is in Santo Domingo, so if you need help from anywhere outside of the capital, you're just going to end up wasting precious minutes being transfered. I can't believe I didn't find that out until after having lived here for over a year...

So in conclusion, my job is friggin great and I want to eat all of my kids up :)

Though honestly I would probably love them just a teensy bit more if they could break it down like this... ;)

No comments: