Tuesday, March 23, 2010

They call me Sexton

Due to the awesome skills I showcased in the "Beginners" dance class (it's true, I have the diploma to prove it!), I progressed from being a peon in "Principiantes" and stepped it up a notch to...INTERMEDIATE.

Moving on up, what what!

It's really hard to get a spot in a class because the school is so popular and so many people want in. The teacher has been thinking about expanding, but to do so she needs more hands on deck teaching. Our class became the guinea pig class, as she experimented with a teaching assistant (who quickly became head teacher as she found "other things" to do).

His name is Jesus.
I was being taught how to seductively swing my salsa hips by a man named Jesus.

Isn't that just rich???

And he calls me Sexton. Because apparently "Lesa" is too hard to learn :P

I was worried that with him having no experience, it would be a waste of a class. There was definitely a teaching curve for him, since he was new at it all, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. Since he's waaaay younger than the other woman, he had a pretty good hand on what moves would be cool for us to learn.
Fast forward to our graduation

Our class was chosen to perform a salsa dance for the graduation, choreographed by Jesus himself. We were the STARS of the evening. The other classes performed a merengue/son and a bachata, both choreographed by the other teacher. *Yawn* But OURS! OURS was a hot upbeat showy piece with some dips and shimmies. And combined with our purple and white outfits, we were looking gooood

I tell you, I'm really starting to like this Latin dancing stuff

I think I've got one more class left to completely refine my skills, and then- watch out world!



No comments: