Friday, August 1, 2008

the eagle has landed

I'm here I'm here I'm here! And with all my luggage too-thank you American Airlines for coming through on at least one thing...

Things have not been as whirlwind-ish as I expected so far, just because the school is trying to get us and everything settled so that we have money and Internet and a working stove like they promised.

The apartment is cute and spacious, with easy access to the roof for drying clothes and watching sunsets. There is no AC but there's a constant hurricane-size gust of wind blowing through so it stays relatively cool. We're on the 3rd floor (no elevator) and they cut the water off completely at 10pm. We have ants, a gas stove, and a buzzer to let people into the apartment (my favorite thing). I have hot pink mosquito netting draped over my bed to keep away the little critters that (so far) have been pretty nice to me and not eaten me up.

Sunday morning we head via bus to the capital, Santo Domingo, for a week of training. We'll be staying in a hotel and meeting all the other new teachers. I'm especially interested in meeting the other American teachers who will be working in the capital.

What I've learned so far:

It is considered a sign of respect to applaud the pilot when the plane lands (contrary to the way I interpreted it-applauding meaning "we're glad this time we actually did land")
You can buy anything at a stoplight.
The police are the only ones without cars. Their orders are to be ignored
They have drive-thru fast food restaurants, but also drive-thru ABC stores. (Order up a beer to go!)
Dominican women go to the salon twice a week. Twice a week!
Time is all relative. Be prepared to wait.
People are loud. And they like to wake you up at 5:30 am yelling "AGUACATES!" ("AVACADOS!") outside your window.
The Coke tastes different (they use real cane sugar)

We're heading out soon with Elaine, the HR Rep at the school, for a tour of the city. Pictures of my beautiful new home will be posted later :)

1 comment:

MST said...

I hate to break it to you but they have drive-thru liquor stores in Kentucky too. No pink mosquito netting though, so you win there! It's great to hear such a cheerful update from my favorite English/SS teacher in the DR.

PS- the roof sounds amazing!