So I had training in the capital this past week and I found out that this upcoming year I will be a 2nd grade teacher! I will have a teaching assistant and grades will be subjective (good for them because I bet I could come up with some mean tests...). I am very very excited! I was given the curriculum and apparently I will be teaching things like gravity, the Pilgrims, China's ancient civilization, antonyms and synonyms, telling time, Venn diagrams, matter, compound words, and fractions. It was a little bit daunting reading everything we'll be doing this year, because I wasn't sure how well I remembered those topics myself! But it will be fun, I just know it.
During training I got to learn a lot more about the school and how it's set up. One thing that I thought was SUPER neat was that one of the daughters of the President of the Dominican Republic (Leonel Fernandez) is a student at the school in Santo Domingo. As a general rule these students are all very well off and most have their own chauffeurs; some even have their own bodyguards! When there's so much poverty around me sometimes it's hard to reconcile the fact that I'm working at this well-off school and not doing more to help out those less fortunate. But I'm going to give it my all regardless
And sorry to disappoint but so far I am not fluent. I did learn the word for prune, due to an unfortunate incident involving prune yogurt. From far away prunes may look like yummy cookies, but don't let that fool you; they taste very very different.
From here on out my days will be filled with even more training and then non-stop lesson planning. I start at the end of August, so let's hope I'm ready by then! And let's hope the kids are ready for me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment