Today I went with a group of friends to overcome my butterflies about 27 Charcos (Waterfalls). Unfortunately it was raining so it wasn't as picturesque as it maybe could be, but even still it was so awesome!Essentially it's this natural awe located more or less in the mountains. It's 27 consecutive waterfalls (though for some that word is a stretch in my opinion) and you climb up all 27 and then jump down all 27, and the adventure takes about 2-3 hours depending on the size and fear level of the people in your group. Now first I should make this known. I do not like heights. Not in the least. Sure I don't mind them when I'm safely strapped in or surrounded by secure walls, but free falling is not my thing. AND YET I DID IT! I hardly slept at all the night before because I was so terrified, but I lived to write about the tale!
A knowledgeable guide takes you up the waterfalls, showing you where and how to get up. A lot of times they end up pulling you up through cascading water or dragging you by the lifevest (you get a helmet too! about the safest you can get in the DR!) and it's absolutely ridiculous how strong they are. And how crazy they are too! They do it all without lifevests or helmets, jumping from even higher points and doing fancy dives just to show-off. Some waterfalls you jump, some you slide down. Only 2 of them are pretty intimidating heights, but luckily my friends were awesome and didn't express even the slightest annoyance when they had to wait for me to get up the courage.
You can get pretty banged up on those rocks, and it's certainly a hiking work out climbing up and over everything. But definitely well worth it, and I was so proud of myself for taking the plunge (literally!) and just going for it, even when my brain was not the least bit sure that was a good idea. (And in a way I didn't have a choice, because after you've gone all the way up the only way to go down is to jump!)
The day ended with me being able to cross one more thing off my "to do" list for the DR: banana boating! (Note: me and my friends not pictured) Definitely as fun as it looks

2009 is starting off oh so great! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment