Now that things are back and are settling back into full swing again, I finally found some time to catch you all up! And I know you're been clamoring for more
Christmas break was fantastic, if not solely because I got to see my family! :D
I was able to show my sister a little bit around Santiago, after which she was well informed and able to give my parents the full report of life around here. We took a day trip to go horseback riding, and while she enjoyed it I have found out that horses and I only agree when BOTH of us have our feet planted firmly on the ground. I misinterpreted the set-up for the outing and we were stuck with all our bags, thus lading down the horses with so much stuff they were starting to tilt. So naturally I wasn't thrilled when I discovered my horse liked to gallop. Especially since he seemed to have no awareness of the fact that low-hanging branches affected me more than they did him. Flash to me getting a mouth full of leaves after going full canter through a forest path (all the while trying to control the bouncing around of the suitcases). Exhausting physically and mentally
Then with the whole gang down to Bayahibe for a week at an all-inclusive. If you ever get a chance to stay at an all-inclusive, DO IT. The food was amazing food-5 star dishes every night. We were lucky and got to try all 4 of the hotel restaurants-Mexican, Japanese, a Steak House, and Gourmet. The wait staff was so attentive and helpful, even when the language barrier was painfully obvious. But a lot of the people at the resort could speak at least a bit in 4 languages (Spanish, English, German, and French) because it was such an international place-popular with the Europeans. The activities staff was more energetic than I would've thought coming from people who work 16 hour days. Salsa, bachata, and merengue lessons; ocean aerobics; morning strolls; Step classes; and everybody's favorite: Bingo! We got to try snorkeling (always fun until you get sick from downing too much salt water) and scuba diving (free 'bottom of the pool' adventures to get a taste for it) and were lucky enough to attend a baseball game nearby. And since baseball games down here are nothing like those in the states (a little more...rowdy you could say!?) I think it was a great way of showing my family a taste of the Dominican culture.
It did certainly felt weird being out of the States for Christmas though. Even though crazy NC weather means I've already experienced a couple 70 degree Christmases, it still didn't seem quite the same down here. But the hotel did a good job of making it feel like the holidays, with lights strung around the palm trees lining the walk ways and a Christmas tree and a manger scene. And the stockings my parents brought down made it all that much sweeter!
I guess this past Christmas was more a reminder than anything, of what it's all about. Family and love and support and closeness. And even though there are always plenty of family tiffs that plague any extended vacation, I wouldn't have traded it for anything. Thanks Mom, Dad, and Dianne, for making the trek down here and spending Christmas with me. I already miss you all :)
No comments:
Post a Comment