But I needn't have worried because it turned out just fine! Better than fine actually, since I'm still celebrating! ;)
The Friday before I told both of my classes that they had homework. Before the resounding chorus of groans could become too loud I told them this was a super easy assignment-all they had to do was practice their hugs. I reminded them that my birthday was Sunday and so when they came in on Monday I wanted an extra one, paired with a "Happy Birthday!". I'm not quite sure why but the class in the afternoon really took to this idea and they started practicing right then. But nothing could've prepared me for the force that greeted me Monday.
I was in my classroom writing the date on the board when all of a sudden I heard the door fling wide open. Then everything went into slow motion. My eyes got bigger and bigger as I gazed at the horde of kids crowding the door, mouths open wide screaming a warrior-like call resonating from somewhere deep inside their tiny bodies. It was all I could do to brace myself against the wall for the oncoming impact to follow. While I know they meant it in the most loving of ways, it seemed almost reminiscent of those Africa documentaries where the lion chases and devours the gazelle. And I was the gazelle. Soon I think it became less of a "Show Teacher Lesa how much you love her!" demonstration of affection as just a tackle and conquer type game. In the scuffle my shoes were seized, and as soon as I could be wrestled to the ground my head was promptly sat on.
And I could not stop laughing!
Despite the imminent physical danger I was clearly in, the more pressing danger seemed to be the love abounding from their every little pore threatening to suffocate me. And for those moments when I was paralyzed at the bottom of their heap, I saw a glimpse of the impact I might be having on them. I saw that to some of the kids I really do matter; I really am important in their lives. And as we head into the final weeks of school, with motivation and energy running low, I have been given another push to help propel me to the end.
Truly the most thoroughly completed homework assignment ever!
And even though it may not have been the birthday to top all birthdays, I was still more than sufficiently reminded that I am truly loved. The utter kindness and thoughtfulness of everyone who tried to make my day a little more special was so touching. From all the well wishes and packages and ice cream cakes and meals out and drinks and cards and gifts and coffee and (attempted) telephone calls, the whole day seemed like one big hug. So everybody did a great job on their homework! Now you know you are just as smart and capable as a 2nd grader! ;)
So from the bottom of my heart, thank you to everyone. You pulled off a good 23rd celebration, and I hope you feel the love and appreciation emanating from me and returning right back to you!
No comments:
Post a Comment