How Lesa is getting her groove back:Every time we go out at night, there is always music and people dancing-no matter where you go. It's a rhythmical country. And I decided I was sick of being awkwardly clumsy whenever it was time to bust loose with some bachata, merengue, or salsa. So I enrolled in a dance class.
It's a 2 month class in the backyard of a woman who lives in my neighborhood. It's for 1 1/2 hrs 2 times a week, and since I wanted to be able to walk home while it was still light out, I am signed up for the earlier afternoon time. What does that mean? I'm in a class with a bunch of 15 year old kids, the only people who are free that early in the day. Practicing for their quincinera perhaps??
But really it's not bad at all. It's a big class (20 people crammed onto a nice tiny patio-I have to fight for room to swivel my hips) and there are a couple oldies sprinkled about. The first class was just introductions. Introductions and rules. Apparently there are enough rules that they require an hour of explanation. Let me tell you, this lady is not joking around. She does not want you doing ANYTHING outside of the time allowed for it. No drinking water unless she says so. No going to the bathroom unless she is in agreement that you are indeed about to wet your pants. She explained how she likes her bathroom kept (toilet seat down, door closed), her
pet peeve with gum, her disgust for nail biters and hair twirlers and poor posture (this was when I started looking around wondering if I had accidentally signed up for a Cotillion class), and her (insane) punctuality.
She's a woman you don't want to be on the wrong side of. She will call you out for anything. You can feel it- the class runs on pure fear!
But my personal favorite part of the introductions? When she talked about how we were all going to learn to dance so that we could do it well and not look like gringos ("whities"). At which point she sort of shrugged at me as in, "What can you do? You were just born unlucky."
Thus, the challenge has been made. She thinks white people don't have rhythm? Oh I will show her. She's never SEEN rhythm until she's seen these hips move
I'll let you know how wrong I prove her ;)
1 comment:
Show your DR dancers how a gringo can dance, Lesa! I'll bet you'll be the best by far.
So you'll have a session today? Keep us informed about your progress.
Doc
Post a Comment