Saturday, November 1, 2008

HALLOWEEEEEN









Unfortunately in the Dominican Republic they do not really celebrate Halloween (the selection of masks in the grocery store was limited to 5) and New Horizons, the school where I teach, does not like celebrating Halloween. But my 2nd grade English class celebrates Halloween!

We had the best day ever! My kids and I went all out, and we enjoyed ourselves to the max.
Since it was Friday we had flag ceremony which is when, every Monday and Friday, the whole school stands outside in the blistering heat for 30 minutes while we sing 3 anthems-2 national and 1 school-and then we watch a project presentation that some class has prepared. Yesterday they watched my presentation. Was I given more than a 3 minute warning that I was presenting on the history of Halloween? Noooo. Did I just make up a few things on the spot? Yesssss.
The students were not allowed to dress up, but if they chose they could wear an orange or black t-shirt. We were supposed to continue on with our lessons like normal, but when no one ever comes to supervise your class you take those orders with a grain of salt.
We all gave out candy and let me tell you being such a loveable teacher I hit the JACKPOT! These kids are at the age where they (kinda) like to share. As in, they'll pass out candy generously to every and still have 1/2 the bag leftover, which then prompts them to scream in glee "And I get alllll the rest!".
The big hit was lollipops. I think I got 28. A parent came in and we made paper plate ghosts, we watched Scooby Doo, we made lollipop ghosts, we wrote in our journals about witches, we played with oobleck. And that was just the morning! In the afternoon we had a Mummy wrap contest with toilet paper and then someone had brought in a Halloween spider cake, cheetos, and marshmellows (yeah that one was kind of random).

I thought the kids were going to be even more wild but I think the sheer amount of candy they had eaten before school started at 7:45 made them ready to crash sooner than I had thought.

But the REAL festivities started at 11 that night, when a captain who had fallen overboard joined up with her friends Hugh Hefner and his playboy bunny, the coral reef, and a serial assassin to begin some nightly hijinks...

No comments: